Supermarkets have done more to conserve energy than almost any other industry, yet still are one of the highest energy use buildings. LED lighting, control systems, and higher efficiency refrigeration systems are helping reduce their energy use. Still, sustainability officers and CFOs are always looking for more. What else can be done?
HVAC and Refrigeration represent over 75% of a typical Food Retailer’s energy costs. But until now, improving efficiency has required replacing entire systems. SMC is helping food retailers reduce operating costs with our ultra-efficient Smart Motor Systems. Can a more intelligent motor strengthen a supermarket’s sustainability story and its bottom line? Yes and yes, and many supermarkets have discovered this.
The SMC Smart Motor System is a drop-in replacement for the outdated, inefficient induction motors that are pervasive in rooftop HVAC units (RTUs), air handlers (AHUs), and air-cooled refrigeration condensers, and a better investment than VFDs. It’s the first software-driven switched reluctance motor: the most efficient, reliable, and intelligent motor ever made.
Smart Motor retrofits make grocery stores more profitable and sustainable
- Significantly reduces HVAC system energy in all operating modes with compelling paybacks on capital investment
- Maintains ASHRAE ventilation standards based on real-time conditions while minimizing fan energy use
- Extends the life of existing HVAC systems while significantly improving their energy efficiency
- Revitalizes existing equipment with greater efficiency and control
- Increases efficiency in condenser fans compared to induction motors
The Smart Motor System provides future-forward efficiency and control that’s replicable across store locations. Contact us to learn more.
Why does the world need a smarter motor?
Electric motors and the systems they drive are the single largest electrical end-use, consuming twice as much as lighting.
U.S. Energy Information Administration (2011). Energy-efficiency Policy Opportunities for Electric Motor-driven Systems
WHY RETROFIT WITH SMC SMART MOTORS?
- Alternative to replacing RTUs to improve system efficiency
- Superior in energy savings and function to VFD retrofits on existing motors
- Simply designed; inherently reliable
- Integrated control and monitoring capabilities
- Seamlessly integrate into your BMS, or utilize SMC integrated programming
- Remote updates and machine learning make systems better over time
- Attractive return on investment
The future requires smarter buildings. The Smart Motor System is taking us there.
The Smart Motor System is drop-in replacement for the outdated, inefficient induction motors that are pervasive in millions of HVAC systems around the world. It’s the first software-driven switched reluctance motor: the most efficient, reliable, and intelligent motor ever made.